Friday 21 October 2011

Southampton's street style.

Southampton’s young and fashionable today been revealed their style inspirations on the high street and what fashion truly means to them. Asking not only the fashion conscious, but the everyday person on the street about how and why they put their outfits together, where they seek their inspiration from - whether it was to “look funky” or simply for comfort, the streets of Southampton had it all.

One of the best places to start with for street fashion is the high street itself, AllSaints part timer, Emily Shaw argued. “I find that working with the clothes, when I see new pieces come in is where I get my inspiration from for the new trends”. Emily was wearing a grey jumper dress, from AllSaints of course, where she gets most of her clothes, but likes to mix it with other high street brands like H&M and Topshop, a favourite of the fashion followers. Her uniform for work is similar to her normal style, Emily goes for a casual laid-back style “much like the chilled LA look that Sophia Bush and Rachel Bilson have” the 20 year old revealed.

The owner of Spanish jewellery range Tresor, Clare WIlding was another shopper keen to keep up with trends. “Fashion used to mean a lot more to me when I was younger, but now I go for a more comfy look while still trying to look a little bit funky - which is why I love these leather leggings I’m wearing.” Most of the women questioned around the ages of 18 - 30 looked to magazines for guidance of style - 28-year-old Clare agreed, focusing mainly on Grazia and Look - “I tend to spend about £200 a month on clothes, and I look to magazines to tell me the hottest new things in fashion and the best affordable place to get them”. 

It seems that it’s not just the ladies that are getting into the latest trends, as first year music student Edward Jones said “I really love putting together outfits - blazers, jeans and accessories, it’s part of the fun. I see fashion as an extension of your personality, so that’s how I dress myself.” 18-year-old Edward shops mostly on the high street, but stays true to his musical roots, looking to bands for inspirations of fashion - “I love the edge of musicians style, bands like The Horrors and The Dum Dum Girls.”   

Keeping up with trends isn’t a main priority for some, 19-year-old film student Adam Burns spends less than £10 a month on clothes. “I don’t seek out labels, my style is simple, band t-shirts and skinny jeans. To me, fashion isn’t very important, they’re just clothes, right?” This seemed to be a common view amongst the men we spoke to. Graduate Rory Fluker, “I don’t follow fashion at all, I just wear whatever my girlfriend buys me, fashion’s  just dressing up for girls isn’t it?”
Blogger Template made by pipdig