Friday 9 December 2011

Wear the trend: patterned tights

At the Clothes Show Live I recently found myself catapulted into a whole style of hosiery - patterned tights. There in the middle of the chaos of vintage, well-known brands and colleges stood an giant poster of the sensation that is Jessie J in a pair of Henry Holland tights with cartoon style catchphrases “wham!” and “boom!” around her. Wow. Even better, they were offering them at amazing deals of two for £10 - it seemed almost insulting to not pick up a couple of pairs. Except when I returned with the limited edition Henry Holland bones and multi-colour bones tights I wasn’t quite sure how I was going to bring them into my daily wardrobe, after many outfit changes, I found some jazzed up new looks simply by adding the latest accessory trend. 

Most importantly, I try not to make my look similar to everyone else. But on the other hand, I don’t want to be the girl on the street being pointed at because I’m wearing under colour under the sun and look like a complete twat (sorry to be frank.)

I find that patterned tights work beautifully with denim short shorts if, and only if, you have the body to work it. Suspender tights and denim shorts was the look of the festival season seen as Reading & Leeds personally, as well as festivals all over the country. I guess the phrase is right, if you’ve got it, flaunt it!

Personally, I like to work my patterned tights with  little tea dresses, particularly a LBD with pumps for a quirky day look. The new Giles for New Look range is a easy high street option - I couldn’t quite believe Giles Deacon had teamed up with New Look either, but after picking up a pair of black tights with a gold zip up the back for a tenner I was hooked. Henry Holland and Pretty Polly are key places to look out for a quality pair of tights, although Primark and Matalan do alternatives at a much cheaper rate of about £3 if you’re trying to save! 

Patterned tights work perfectly for a grungy, rock chic look and are a favourite at Southampton local rock/indie club Unit, a perfect place to look if you’re looking for style inspiration for a night out. However, if you’re looking to wrap up from the cold this winter but still want a quirky look, these tights will work a treat with a big chunky knit cardigan or jumper.

I asked my fellow fashion students how they would wear this new trend, the most popular outfit choices were with cut out band t-shirts (and just that if you’re willing to flash the flesh!), short shorts (like I said, fashion students with model legs) and sexy dresses for a night out. This latest trend is a perfect way to spice up a basic outfit and I can’t wait to start rocking them.   
Blogger Template made by pipdig