Wednesday 20 June 2012

Out with the old, no wait...

Moving is a big deal, with lots of packing and unpacking, it's very easy to get lost rediscovering all the amazing pieces you forgot about. This is one of mine.

I have to warn you, it's nothing spectacular. It is in fact from Marks & Spencer and is basically an oversized black shrug. I bet you're bored already.

Hoooowever, as with all good pieces there is a story. This shrug belonged to my darling Grandmother and was given to me while I was sorting through the last of her clothes when she passed last year. Very casually "oh do you want this, take it!" and this massively comfy piece was mine.

From what I can tell by the label, this shrug is as old as I am, and yet is still in immaculate condition, even holding a faint smell of my Nana's Chanel perfume. The perfect comfort blanket.

So I should probably tell you about the woman behind the shrug. My Nana - she was a woman of fine taste, from wine to jewellery - it was only the best. She was one of those effortlessly beautiful women who really knew how to look glamourous, something I will always admire her for. She was the wife of a hugely successful business man that would rock classy corporate events just the same as she worked her way with 5 kids (how she still looked amazing I will never know, fair play to her). 

Her death caught me at a difficult transition point of my life, two weeks before I started university. Moving away and having not much to hold onto made it much more difficult, until I acquired this ultimate comfort blanket/winter must have. So thank you for the shrug Nana, I'll try to keep rocking some of your classic style.

Blogger Template made by pipdig