Thursday 5 June 2014

THE LIFESTYLE: Book Review 'If You Have to Cry, Go Outside' by Kelly Cutrone


Kelly Cutrone is like a scary old head teacher I used to have at secondary school, but with a serious contacts book and fashion credibility to make any intern quiver. When I discovered her book, 'If you have to cry, go outside' on an Amazon binge shopping trip, it ticked all my reading boxes, and here's why...

I've joked about a quarter life crisis before in a couple of posts, but if you're in a situation where you're at a crossroads, or you're not entirely happy with where you're going/what you're doing (aka, any graduate, or general twentysomethings)  Kelly Cutrone has written the book to give you a big ol' kick up the, well you know...

I picked up this book last year on a whim from Amazon, not really expecting much than a good read for train journeys, but I couldn't bring myself to put it down. Kelly's do-it-fucking-now-and-do-it-right attitude is infectious. Not in the way that she was a scary boss you'd do anything for  from her appearances on The Hills and The City, but in the way she makes you question what you're doing, why you're doing it, and why the fuck isn't it going right. 


Kelly is a successful business woman, and the book tells the story of her experiences of creating her own PR company People's Revolution -  from witty ditties to shocking lows - even to a surprising spiritual level. One of the most successful women in the industry, Cutrone is known for her no-nonsense attitude when it comes to her work, her personal life, and her pared down style. Famously named 'Kell on Earth', this book goes a long way to show why Kelly is the tough cookie she is, how she learnt from her own experiences and what it takes to make it in a tough industry.

Having just finished university - and the academic world forever - I found myself a bit stuck on my next move. I rediscovered this book during the big move home and had to read it again, if only for the wise words to fire me into some direction of a career path. For the second time, I finished it with record speed and was completely invigorated by Kelly's story. 

If you're looking to read an interesting fashion book, a book to take for a weekend away, or a motivational book with none of the preach, 'If you have to cry...' is it. An engaging enjoyable read that will make you want to dress in all black, ditch your job and run off to New York. I'm packing the suitcase of black now. 


Do you have any must-read selections for me? Let me know below or on Twitter! 
Blogger Template made by pipdig